Scott & Vicki McClaran and Jill, Beth, and Maggie McClaran
“Four Generations of Learning How to Best Use & Respect the Land”
McClaran Ranch’s headquarters is located in the small town of Joseph, Oregon. The cattle, however, are pastured all year long on native grasses and forages with limited fences. The cattle are ran in Hells Canyon in the Winter and return to the higher elevation, Chesnimus and Zumwalt Prairie, in the Summer. We have selected genetics over the years to fit our operation and ensure that we have cattle that can handle the rough terrain. Our mother cows are now a majority red/black Angus and Hereford cross. This provides cattle that can perform and excel in the environment, and calves that do well at market. We breed and raise our own horses to ensure they are raised in rough terrain to become sure footed. Our cattle are hormone and antibiotic free, raised on a vegetarian diet. Our BRAND stands for lean, healthy, grass-fed beef and sensible raised horses and colts.
In 1904 C.M. McClaran first traveled to the beautiful Wallowa Valley. Shortly after in 1919 his son, Joe, started the ranch in the lower Imnaha. Originally McClaran Ranch was a sheep operation but during WWII, Joe switched the operation to solely a cattle ranch. When Jack McClaran returned from WWII, and after graduating from the University of Idaho, he and his wife Marjorie returned to the canyons to continue the ranching legacy as well as raise their three children Chris, Katy and current ranch manager, Scott.
Scott, along with wife Vicki, and parents Marjorie and Jack have done what many family businesses have failed to do – attract the next generation back to the ranch. Daughters Jill, Beth, and Maggie following graduation from University Idaho and Oregon State University, have all come back home to the canyons, determined to carry on the ranching legacy started by their great, great, grandfather.