John & Molly Wilson
North Powder, Oregon
The Wilson family settled in eastern Oregon in 1878 after travelling the Oregon Trail. The original ranch, consisting of 161 acres, was purchased from the State of Oregon and is still owned by the fifth and sixth generation of Wilsons. The family raised cattle from the beginning but diversified at one point to raise and train horses for the army used in WWI. The family is proud of the fact that they started allocating land for wildlife habitat in the 1960’s and have developed riparian protection on all major streams on the ranches.